Qatar to develop a 800MW solar power plant with Total & Marubeni
Category: #energy-and-environment  By Saipriya Iyer  Date: 2020-01-20
  • share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
Qatar to develop a 800MW solar power plant with Total & Marubeni

Like most of its oil-rich neighbors, Qatar seems to be pushing towards solar power to meet its local energy needs. The nation, being one of the leading exporter of LNG (liquefied natural gas) across the globe, has reportedly inked an agreement with Japans Marubeni Corp. and Frances Total S.A. to develop a solar power project with a capacity of around 800MW.

While addressing a news conference in Doha, Saad Al-Kaabi, Qatar’s Energy Minister and CEO of Qatar Petroleum (QP), said that the project will cost around 1.7 billion riyals ($467 million).

Sources cite that this project will be built at Al-Kharsaah area west of the nation’s capital (Doha) on around a ten sq. km land plot. Apparently, Siraj Energy, a JV between QEWC (Qatar Electricity and Water Company) and QP, will have a 60% share in this new solar power plant. Meanwhile, the remaining 40% share will be owned by both Total and Marubeni.

Speaking of the planned development, Al-Kaabi said that both the companies would contribute their technological expertise and funds for a combined 40% stake in this project.

Meanwhile, in a joint statement, Al-Kaabi and Total’s CEO Patrick Pouyanne said that Marubeni will invest around USD 95 million in this solar power plant while Total will invest around USD 91 million for a 19.6% share.

As per the Energy Minister, the project would generate half of the plant capacity power by the first quarter of 2021, adding that it would reach full capacity by the Q1 2022. This solar project would be able to supply around a 10th of the nation’s power when it starts operating at full capacity.

Moreover, Qatar, the world's largest supplier of LNG, would plan more solar projects as the nation aims to decrease carbon emissions and minimize its impact on the environment, said Al-Kaabi.

Reportedly, in a bid to reduce carbon footprint, the energy minister had authorized a carbon capture and storage plant and seeks to reduce 5 million tons of carbon from Qatar’s LNG operations by 2025.

Source Credit - https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2020/01/19/qatar-to-build-solar-power-plant-with-total-and-marubeni

  • share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn

About Author

Saipriya Iyer

Saipriya Iyer    

Saipriya Iyer currently works as a content developer for GroundAlerts. A computer engineer by profession, she ventured into the field of writing for the love of playing with words. Having had previous experience of 3 years under her belt, she has dabbled with website ...

Read More >>

More News By Saipriya Iyer

Fan Data Analytics Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Application, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026
Fan Data Analytics Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Application, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026
By Saipriya Iyer

Market Study Report, LLC, now offers a detailed analysis of the Fan Data Analytics market in a new research that provides valuable business insights including revenue share, market size, market valuation, and regional spectrum of this vertical. The F...

Global Parking Reservation System Market Size, Share, Growth Survey 2021 to 2026 and Industry Analysis Report
Global Parking Reservation System Market Size, Share, Growth Survey 2021 to 2026 and Industry Analysis Report
By Saipriya Iyer

Market Study Report LLC has announced the launch of Parking Reservation System market report, a comprehensive study enumerating the latest price trends and pivotal drivers rendering a positive impact on the industry landscape. Further, the report is ...

Gold Bumping Flip Chip Market Size Global Industry Analysis, Statistics & Forecasts to 2026
Gold Bumping Flip Chip Market Size Global Industry Analysis, Statistics & Forecasts to 2026
By Saipriya Iyer

Global Gold Bumping Flip Chip Market Report provides complete industry analysis, market outlook, size, growth, opportunities and forecast 2026. This report will assist in analyzing the current and future business trends, sales and revenue forecast. I...