Tata Power JV gets APTEL approval to buy of Prayagraj Power Project
Category: #energy-and-environment  By Pranali Mehta  Date: 2019-10-01
  • share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
Tata Power JV gets APTEL approval to buy of Prayagraj Power Project

Renascent Power Ventures to acquire 75% stake in Prayagraj Power Project following APTEL approval

TATA Power has recently announced that the Appellate Tribunal for Electricity (APTEL) has approved the acquisition of 75% stake in the 1,980 MW Prayagraj power project by by Renascent Power Ventures, a subsidiary of its joint venture Resurgent Power Ventures Pte Ltd.

The company mentioned that APTEL did not approve the reduction of adopted power tariff for the project. Renascent Power Ventures had reportedly offered reduced tariff in the power purchase agreements to customers.

The Competition Commission of India had reportedly approved the share purchase agreement signed by Resurgent Power Ventures Pte Ltd for the acquisition of 75.01% stake in Prayagraj Power Generation Company Ltd (PPGCL).

Apparently, one of the customary closing condition to conclude the transaction was the approval of the regulator.

For the uninitiated, Singapore-based Resurgent Power is a joint venture in which Tata Power holds about 26% stake via its wholly-owned subsidiary Tata Power International Pte based in Singapore. The remaining 74% is held by ICICI bank, Kuwait Investment Authority and Power Platform Ltd.

Sources familiar with the development reported that PPGCL, which owns and operates a 1,980 MW coal-based thermal power plant in Uttar Pradeshand had recently been classified as a Non-Performing Asset (NPA) due to operational and financial stresses.

Praveer Sinha, MD and CEO of TATA Power stated that APTEL’s approval will act as a positive factor for the advancement of the power sector, particularly for the resolution of stressed assets.

APTEL’s judgement effectively safeguards economic viability of stressed assets after resolution, thereby providing certainty for the bidders willing to participate in the resolution of stressed assets in the future, he noted.
According to authentic sources, Resurgent looks forward to closing the transaction at the earliest, concluding the acquisition of Prayagraj Power Project, to boost and enhance the operations of the power plant to bridge the increasing power demand-supply gap in Uttar Pradesh.  

Source Credits –https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/energy/power/aptel-approves-acquisition-of-prayagraj-power-project-by-tata-power-jv/articleshow/71375102.cms

  • share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn

About Author

Pranali Mehta

Pranali Mehta    

Pranali Mehta boasts of over three years of experience as a content writer. Having completed her graduation in chemical engineering, she worked as safety & environment associate in a chemical company for a year. Harnessing her passion for writing however, Pranali deci...

Read More >>

More News By Pranali Mehta

WhatsApp to soon allow iOS users to hide online status from everyone
WhatsApp to soon allow iOS users to hide online status from everyone
By Pranali Mehta

WhatsApp, the meta-owned messaging and video calling app, is reportedly working on a feature that will offer iOS users the ability to hide their online status from everyone. As per credible source, the feature is expected to come in its update as it ...

Petrofac collabs with Hitachi over offshore joint grid integration
Petrofac collabs with Hitachi over offshore joint grid integration
By Pranali Mehta

Petrofac, an international energy services company, and Hitachi Energy have recently collaborated to provide a joint grid integration and linked infrastructure for supporting the fast-growing offshore wind market. As per sources, this collaboratio...

Street Lighting Control System Market Size, Share to Generate Lucrative Revenues By 2028
Street Lighting Control System Market Size, Share to Generate Lucrative Revenues By 2028
By Pranali Mehta

The research report on Street Lighting Control System market Added by Market Study Report proposes a comprehensive study on the recent industry trends. In addition, the report presents a detailed abstract of the growth statistics, revenue estimation,...