Qatar sovereign fund in talks to invest $1.5 billion in JioFiber
Category: #headlines  By Pranali Mehta  Date: 2020-07-30
  • share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn
Qatar sovereign fund in talks to invest $1.5 billion in JioFiber

The fundraising spree seems to be going at unprecedented speed for Reliance Industries Limited. After successfully raising over $20 billion for Jio Platforms in the peak times of coronavirus, Mukesh Ambani led firm is in talks with Qatar Investment Authority(QIA) to raise $1.5 billion for JioFiber.

As the name suggests, Jio Fiber is the internet service provided by the Reliance Jio. Sources cite that the wealth fund will invest the said amount in an infrastructure investment trust (InvIT) that holds Reliance’s fiber-optic assets.

The investment will strengthen Jio's wireless connectivity and digital product's agenda and will even pave a path for Reliance to lay down wide coverage of fiber network across India.

As per the reports, Reliance Jio Infocomm will continue as an InvIT sponsor and retain a minimum of 15% stake. The other 85% is to be sold to investors worldwide, including the Qatar Investment Authority.

In March last year, Reliance re-organized its Telecommunications Business Units strategically to raise collections of funds. Reliance Jio Infocomm, the telecom company, split the fiber and tower companies into Jio Digital Fiber Pvt. Ltd. and Reliance Jio Infratel Pvt. Ltd. In both separated bodies, Jio Infocomm remains a sponsor.

JioFiber has already been present in many cities across India and has done excellent work towards reaching high-speed Internet towns in the Tier II / III region. The service has been run over 700,000 km lines in India. JioFiber provides a wide variety of customer plans with plans of up to 1 Gbps speed.

On the other side, QIA will enjoy India's relaxed rules and tax exemptions in investments for sovereign wealth funds in the country’s infrastructure space. Other than that, the chance offers QIA to become a part of one of the biggest telecom companies.

Source Credit - https://thetechportal.com/2020/07/29/jiofiber-qatar-investment-authority-funding/

  • share
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • LinkedIn

About Author

Pranali Mehta

Pranali Mehta    

Pranali Mehta boasts of over three years of experience as a content writer. Having completed her graduation in chemical engineering, she worked as safety & environment associate in a chemical company for a year. Harnessing her passion for writing however, Pranali deci...

Read More >>

More News By Pranali Mehta

WhatsApp to soon allow iOS users to hide online status from everyone
WhatsApp to soon allow iOS users to hide online status from everyone
By Pranali Mehta

WhatsApp, the meta-owned messaging and video calling app, is reportedly working on a feature that will offer iOS users the ability to hide their online status from everyone. As per credible source, the feature is expected to come in its update as it ...

Petrofac collabs with Hitachi over offshore joint grid integration
Petrofac collabs with Hitachi over offshore joint grid integration
By Pranali Mehta

Petrofac, an international energy services company, and Hitachi Energy have recently collaborated to provide a joint grid integration and linked infrastructure for supporting the fast-growing offshore wind market. As per sources, this collaboratio...

Street Lighting Control System Market Size, Share to Generate Lucrative Revenues By 2028
Street Lighting Control System Market Size, Share to Generate Lucrative Revenues By 2028
By Pranali Mehta

The research report on Street Lighting Control System market Added by Market Study Report proposes a comprehensive study on the recent industry trends. In addition, the report presents a detailed abstract of the growth statistics, revenue estimation,...